New Canaan, CT - The Glass House. The famous Glass House, created by American architect Philip Johnson, is one of the most significant structures of the 20th century. An object of fascination for decades, the rectangular house was built in 1949 out of quarter- inch-thick glass and without interior walls. Absent of curtains or blinds, the property’s 47 acres of trees and landscaping are the house’s only source of privacy. Built In, Modern Exterior, Architecture Art, Philip Johnson, Modern Architecture, Guest Houses, Johnson Glasses, Glass Houses, Glasses Houses
The Glass House, designed by architect Philip Johnson, was a remarkable achievement when it was completed in 1949. It began an odyssey of architectural experimentation in forms, materials, and ideas. The 47-acre campus is an example of the successful preservation and interpretation of modern architecture, landscape, and art. The Glass House is owned and operated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The Glass House or Johnson house, built in 1949 in New Canaan, Connecticut, was designed by Philip Johnson as his own residence, and "universally viewed as having been derived from" the Farnsworth House design, according to Alice T. Friedman. Johnson curated an exhibit of Mies van der Rohe work at the Museum of Modern Art in 1947, featuring a model of the glass Farnsworth House