Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

Explore these ideas and more!

Slicing through the tail of Do 17Z-1 F1+FH of 1/KG76 with the port wing at 12.16 on 15 September 1940, Hurricane Mk I TM-B slammed into the ground at 400mph, burying itself beneath the crossroads where Buckingham Palace Road met Ebury Bridge Road. Sgt Raymond T "Ray" Holmes of No 504 Squadron RAF recalled the incident: "I thought my aircraft would cut right through it, not allowing for the fact that his plane was as strong mine. There was a jolt when I hit him, but not a big one."

P/O Jan EL "Johnny" Zumbach (left) and P/O Mirosław "Ox" Ferić of No 303 Squadron RAF relax between sorties at RAF Leconfield in 1940. Withdrawn from RAF Northolt on 11 October, Zumbach had scored 8 enemy aircraft destroyed and Ferić at least 7. The pilots were among the fourth highest scoring fighter unit during the summer and autumn, with 44 victories positively verified.

Sgt Zygmunt "Zig" Klein poses with Spitfire Mk I UM-V after being received by No 152 Squadron RAF at RAF Warmwell on 5 October 1940. The 22-year-old Pole crash-landed near Torquay on 26 November, out of fuel, and failed to return 2 days later when believed to have scored hits on Me 109E-4 Black Double Chevron flown by Maj Helmut Wick of 1/JG2 at 17.00, the victory over the Luftwaffe ace being credited to F/L John C "Dogs" Dundas of No 609 Squadron RAF.

P/O Stanley CN "Stan" Norris (second right) recounts at RAF Hawkinge how he claimed a Do 17 damaged on 29 July 1940. The day recorded in the ORB of No 610 Squadron RAF a scramble to help meet a force of 48 Ju 87 dive bombers accompanied by 80 Me 109 fighters but arriving too late. On return, the 21-year-old pilot was unhurt in Spitfire Mk I DW-O after suffering a burst tyre before ground-looping on landing.

Whilst the crash of Do 17Z-1 F1+FH of 1/KG76 at the forecourt of Victoria Station at 12.16 on 15 September 1940 was widely photographed, little attention was paid to Hurricane Mk I TM-B that fell into the roadway nearby at the junction of Ebury Bridge Road with Buckingham Palace Road. While a pile of wreckage was collected from the highway and placed against an adjacent wall to await collection, the crater that contained the RR Merlin III engine was filled in and covered over.

Armourers of No 32 Squadron RAF replenish the ammunition in the starboard wing magazine of Hurricane Mk I GZ-H at RAF Hawkinge on 29 July 1940. Pilots quickly realised that the harmonisation of their Browning Mk II machine guns was way out at 400yds convergence, as they were having to get much closer to their targets to ensure critical hits were achieved. The plumbers were, therefore, instructed to toe in the guns to a harmonisation distance of just 120yds.

Flying a Hurricane Mk I on 16 August 1940, P/O John FD "Tim" Elkington of No 1 Squadron RAF was hit by a cannon shell in the starboard fuel tank of his Hurricane Mk I that burst into flames. Bailing out, his descent was followed by F/Sgt Frederick G Berry, the slipstream of his aircraft blowing Elkington on to land at West Wittering. The 19-year-old pilot was taken to the Royal West Sussex Hospital at Chichester and rejoined at RAF Wittering on 1 October.

P/O Arthur G "Art" Donahue poses for a formal photograph soon after collecting his uniform in London in July 1940. Claiming to be Canadian when he enlisted in Canada the previous month, the 26-year-old American felt "drawn into the struggle like a moth to a candle". He fell victim to enemy fighters on 12 August, when bailing out of burning Spitfire Mk I SH-W with injuries to the right leg and burns, just 9 days after joining No 64 Squadron RAF at RAF Kenley.

P/O Alfred K "Skeets" Ogilvie was keen to join his fellow Canadians in No 242 Squadron RAF but as they were at full complement the 24-year-old Ottawan instead joined No 609 Squadron RAF at RAF Middle Wallop on 20 August 1940. The Do 17 he shared on 15 September was the bomber that was subsequently struck by Sgt Raymond T "Ray" Holmes of No 504 Squadron RAF and came down onto the forecourt of Victoria Station.

For 9 August 1940, the ORB of No 249 Squadron RAF recorded that Cpl Parry Jones of B Flight grasped his side and fell to the ground after a shot was heard during the pay parade in the unit hangar. On subsequent investigation, it was found that a Hurricane Mk I of No 73 Squadron RAF was being loaded whilst in the flying position, pointing towards the hangar and 2 rounds had accidentally been fired, wounding the crewman.