Nelson Park bathhouse 1960: The bathhouse in Nelson Park was built during The Great Depression by WPA workers. (H file photo)
1948: A pacer, owned by Sandy Beaman of Decatur, went from an unraced ‘maiden’ class to a top class winner. The horse was trained in Decatur at Beaman’s Stables before being introduced to the track. From left are Mr. Beaman, Mrs. Beaman and Charles Nieft, stable foreman. (H file photo) herald-review.com...
The history of the Decatur Family YMCA began over 100 years ago in 1877. We built our first building in downtown Decatur in 1907, and opened the facility that is still standing at the corner of Church Street and Prairie Avenue in 1952. Growth and the need for larger facilities necessitated building our current facility and it was opened on February 12, 2001.The Decatur Family YMCA of is one of Decatur and Macon Counties leading non-profit, community services organizations.
History Corner: As Seen on Faceboook : Gallery 1916: Teddy and Smithy roam their cage and greet visitors. They were bought in 1916 with donated money by the public and apparently didn't like each other too much at first. The fate of those first two bears isn't clear. A 1925 clipping reported that "the Fairview bears are dead." They were shot by a taxidermist.
Deakins Service Station 1928: Pictured is the C.O. Deakins Service Filling Station at Water Street and Grand Avenue.