(From the British Library's Online Gallery) London. A guide for cuntrey men in the famous cittey of London by the helpe of wich plot they shall be able to know how far it is to any street. As allso to go unto the same without forder troble. Anno 1653
Cheapside, from the visit of Mary de Medici, 1639. The signs on poles in front of the houses probably relate to merchants who used the lower floors as shops. They show the three nuns, the swan, the star (twice), the white lion, the half moon (twice), the hat or cardinal's cap, the black lion, the cross, etc. (not all on this page). The sign of the mermaid, an inn, is accompanied with a large garland, or bush, which was a common sign for an Inn of the period.
Le Loke: On the outskirts of the Borough of Southwark was a hospital for lepers under the joint dedication of St. Mary and St. Leonard. Stow speaks of it as the Loke or Lazar-house for leprous persons, which stood in Kent Street, without St. George's Bar
series of original copper plate engravings dated 1774-1775 created for a late 18th century publication of “Bell’s Edition of Shakespeare’s Plays: As They Are Now Performed at the Theatres Royal in London”. These are portraits of Shakespeare theatre actors in costume for the various stage productions of the time.
From the British Library's Untold Lives blog post by Moira Goff, "George III and Architectural Drawing" (8 January 2014). Image: from Tobias Smollett, Continuation of the Complete History of England (London, 1760-65).