"The Bear Pit, Cardigan Road, Headingley, Leeds The Bear Pit is all that remains of the Leeds Zoological and Botanical Gardens, a not very successful Victorian venture. It was built in 1840, and the bears were displayed in a circular pit on the far side of this wall. The public viewed them from the tops of the turrets, one of which has a spiral staircase (the other probably had one as well.) The Leeds Civic Trust restored it in 1966" Quote taken from website: www.geograph.org.uk
A 1969 view of Westfield Crescent looking towards Woodsley Road, and close to the junction with Rosebank Street. A gas lamp stands on the corner. The property in the foreground, left, is 15 Rosebank Terrace. In the background are two streets of red brick terraced houses off Westfield Crescent: Back Rosebank Crescent, left, and Rosebank Crescent, right.