Discover and save creative ideas
    Explore these ideas and more!

    Glendale Stables, located on Glendale Avenue, 1909. The stable was owned and operated by Thomas O. Pierce. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Thirteen-year-old Richard Petri, a Burbank newspaper delivery boy, picks up the Valley Times for his morning route, 1949. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Title page of the Registro de Bautismos, the Baptism Registers, San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission. It was signed by Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen on September 8, 1797. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    A drinking fountain for animals located in Burbank, California. The fountain was built in 1890 by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Handwritten on the photograph, "Early day drinking fountain on Olive Street". Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Program for Biennial General Federation of Women's Club Memorial Service, Hollywood Bowl, June 8, 1924. Event co-sponsored by the various women's clubs of Los Angeles including the women's clubs of the San Fernando Valley. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Los Angeles Public Library

    Glendale Blvd. 1935

    The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Portrait of L. C. Brand, circa 1910. Brand came to California in 1886 and started the Los Angeles Abstract Company with Edwin Sargent. He and Henry E. Huntington formed the San Fernando Valley Land and Development Company. Brand was president of the Los Angeles and Glendale Railroad Company which provided connections from Los Angeles to Glendale with extensions to Burbank, Pasadena, and Griffith Park. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Bob's Big Boy ~ We had one on Colorado Blvd. between Glendale Ave. and Adam's in Glendale, Calif. were I grew up. Best blue cheese dressing you'll ever eat. YUMMY!

    Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    (1955) Special rail fan excursion on Brand Boulevard and Broadway in downtown Glendale after the Glendale-Burbank Line had been converted to bus service on June 19th. Metropolitan Coach Lines operated streetcars no.5010 and no.5160 for the event.

    on the original los angeles airport (in glendale, ca)

    Greetings From San Fernando Valley California 1950s

    Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour, San Fernando Valley