Discover and save creative ideas
    Explore these ideas and more!

    Letter dated January 20, 1936 from Mrs. G. W. Henderson, President of the Reseda Woman's Club addressed to the Vice Commission in Los Angeles protesting the recent opening of a gambling hall at 7056 Reseda Boulevard. Due to pressure from local civic bodies (American Legion, churches, and woman's clubs) the gambling hall was shut down. Reseda Woman's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Mrs. Martha McClure, the first president of the Mother's Club of Marian, 1918. The Club was formed May 2, 1918 with the stated purpose, "to be of patriotic service, to become a center for broader social life and work unitedly for the advancement of both school and community." In 1922, the town of Marian changed its name to present-day Reseda and the club became known as the Reseda Woman's Club. Reseda Woman's Club Collection, 1918-1987. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Program for Biennial General Federation of Women's Club Memorial Service, Hollywood Bowl, June 8, 1924. Event co-sponsored by the various women's clubs of Los Angeles including the women's clubs of the San Fernando Valley. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Front page of the Daily Sundial, campus newspaper at California State University, Northridge (CSUN), featuring a photo of newly elected Associated Students president William Watkins, May 4, 1973 . Watkins won the election in a close and controversial race against Jim Conran. Conran went on to become A.S. president in 1974. Watkins currently serves as the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students at CSUN. CSUN University Digital Archives.

    First page of a letter from President Jimmy Carter to Julian Nava, April 3, 1980. In April 3, 1980 Julian Nava became the first Mexican-American appointed U.S. Ambassador to Mexico under the Carter Administration. When President Carter was not re-elected in 1980, the Reagan administration declined to keep Nava in his position and instead informed Nava that his successor had been selected. Julian Nava Collection. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.

    Elect Dr. Julian Nava handout. In 1966 a coalition was formed with its goal the election of the first Mexican-American to the Los Angeles Board of Education. This handbill from the 1967 election gives Nava's platform as well as the names of those individuals and organizations that supported him. Julian Nava Collection. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.

    North Africa Caribbean USO troupe departs after a Camp Show Christmas Special, 16 December, 1955. Pictured center is George Murphy, President of the Hollywood Coordinating Committee, which was originally formed in 1941 under the name the Hollywood Victory Committee, and was charged with arranging for screen stars to attend bond drives, entertain in USO shows, and perform other "morale-boosting" activities. Coralie Hewitt Tillack Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library

    Flyer mailed to box holders in Malibu and Topanga by the Malibu Minute Men urging voters to reject the establishment of Los Angeles County Waterworks District no. 29 in the September 15, 1959 election. Topanga Historical Society, San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    "Nava de Nava 26," 1980. In April, 1980 Julian Nava became the first Mexican-American appointed U.S. Ambassador to Mexico. Born and raised in East Los Angeles, Nava went on to have a distinguished career as professor of history at California State University, Northridge and member of the Los Angeles Board of Education. Julian Nava Collection. Latino Cultural Heritage Archives.

    Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Thank-you card from Diana, a Santa Isabel Elementary School student, to the Mothers of East Los Angeles for a donation of books. Juana Beatriz Gutiérrez Mothers of East Los Angeles (MELA) Collection. Latino Archives.

    Unidentified parcel of property for sale in Reseda, circa late 1950s. Three men are visible sitting near a sign that reads: "Lots for sale to colored only, H. G. Weaver, DI. 8-1835." San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Reseda Swimming Pool, 1947. The Reseda pool was originally built in 1930. Following WWII, Reseda emerged as one of the first major suburbs of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Vally History Digital Library.

    Tree planting on Reseda Boulevard, Fall, 1938. Carl S. Dentzel, a community leader, is visible at the center, wearing a suit. This photograph was taken between Parthenia Street and Roscoe Boulevard on Reseda Boulevard, east side of the street. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Actress Shirley Temple posing for a publicity photograph with two cows from Adohr Farms in Reseda, circa 1937. Adohr Farms Collection.