Patrons and employees at the Jewel City Restaurant once located at 556 West Broadway in Glendale, 1910. The restaurant was owned by W. H. Easton and, according to the 1910 City Directory, is professed to have the "Best 25 cent meals in the Valley." Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Activity in front of the Glendale Stables, located on Glendale Avenue, 1909. The stable was owned and operated by Thomas O. Pierce. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Tropico Post Office circa 1910. The building was owned by W. C. B. Richardson and was located at the corner of Central and San Fernando. Glendale Central Public Library -- San fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Program for the San Fernando Junior Cosmos Seventh Annual Fashion Show at Glen-Aire Country Club in Sherman Oaks, October 23, 1954. The event was a benefit to raise funds to redecorate the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) House in San Fernando. The show featured fashions from Lucille's 'Round the Clock shop in San Fernando and Judan Originals in Inglewood. San Fernando Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A comparative statement of crime statistics for the months of December, 1924 and December, 1925, for the Glendale Police Department. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Glendale police officer Byron Green and his 2-1/2 year old daughter Vicki Ann hanging wash at the Glen Vet Court housing project on Colorado Street west of San Fernando Road in Glendale, August 1953. Housing up to ninety-nine veterans and their families, this city-owned project was built in 1946 to serve as temporary residence until the families were able to move into private housing. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Men and boys in front of Al Oliver's Barbershop located on the southwest corner of Everett Street and Wilson Avenue in Glendale, circa 1900. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Broadway and Brand Avenue with the Glendale and Eagle Rock Railway visible, 1911. In 1910-11, the city of Tropico petitioned to annex themselves to Los Angeles. However, the petition lacked the required signatures of one-fifth of the registered voters. The annexation was finally successful in 1918, with the upper half of Tropico voting to go with Glendale and the lower half voting to go with Los Angeles. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The Millionaires Club of Happiness and Contentment's philosophy, signed by Mildred W. Brigham, circa 1915-1921.The club consisted of a local group of men who met in front of the Tujunga Post Office to visit and discuss local issues. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.