Robert William Bird standing on top of an advertisement for his Canoga Park grocery store, 1937. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Canoga Park Bowl

Canoga Park

Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Vintage San Fernando Valley - Canoga Park High School after a rainstorm, 1950

Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Red car on Canoga Park Route

Official program for the Fiesta de la Mission San Fernando featuring Charles E. Pressley's Pageant "Prayer of the Padre" in six episodes, June 5-7, 1931. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A drinking fountain for animals located in Burbank, California. The fountain was built in 1890 by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Handwritten on the photograph, "Early day drinking fountain on Olive Street". Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Historic Canoga Park BOWL

Ralphs in Canoga Park

The Cougar, Canoga Park

Canoga Park High School in the 1950s. LOVE!

1966 Canoga Park

Topanga Plaza Canoga Park CA--80s?