Discover and save creative ideas

    Certificate authorizing the organization of a branch of the Epworth League at the Chatsworth Park, California Methodist Episcopal Church of the Los Angeles District, Chapter No. 19104, November 25, 1898. The Epworth league was a Christian youth group. Chatsworth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Flyer mailed to box holders in Malibu and Topanga by the Malibu Minute Men urging voters to reject the establishment of Los Angeles County Waterworks District no. 29 in the September 15, 1959 election. Topanga Historical Society, San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Portrait of L. C. Brand, circa 1910. Brand came to California in 1886 and started the Los Angeles Abstract Company with Edwin Sargent. He and Henry E. Huntington formed the San Fernando Valley Land and Development Company. Brand was president of the Los Angeles and Glendale Railroad Company which provided connections from Los Angeles to Glendale with extensions to Burbank, Pasadena, and Griffith Park. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Wake up America! Let freedom ring. Brochure of the Non-Sectarian Anti-Nazi League to Champion Human Rights Inc. First organized in 1933 to boycott German imports. Jewish Federation Council of Greater Los Angeles' Community Relations Committee Collection.

    Thank-you card from Diana, a Santa Isabel Elementary School student, to the Mothers of East Los Angeles for a donation of books. Juana Beatriz Gutiérrez Mothers of East Los Angeles (MELA) Collection. Latino Archives.

    John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Program for Biennial General Federation of Women's Club Memorial Service, Hollywood Bowl, June 8, 1924. Event co-sponsored by the various women's clubs of Los Angeles including the women's clubs of the San Fernando Valley. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    The purpose of the "Subversive Activities in America First Committee" report, prepared by the Americanism Committee of the American Legion, 17th District, California, was to describe the results of the investigation into suspicions that the America First organization had been infiltrated by Nazi sympathizers and/or agents. Jewish Federation Council of Greater Los Angeles Collection.

    Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.