In 2000, the Petersen Automotive Museum mounted an exhibit, "Arte y Estilo: The Lowriding Tradition" which was guest curated by Denise Sandoval, then a doctoral student at Claremont College. This catalog was published in conjunction with the exhibition, which ran from February 5 to May 28 of 2000. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.
Students attending class at the church school, senior department at the Woodland Hills Community Church and Community Center at 21338 Dumetz Road, 1955. Woodland Hills Community Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
San Fernando Mission chapel and adjacent Indian cemetery, circa 1910s. An unusual marble headstone marks Epiritu Chijulla Leonis' grave. She died in 1906. Leonis Adobe Museum and Plummer House. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
This theater program from 1976 features a sketch of Jon Voight by noted portrait artist Don Bachardy on the cover. Mr. Voight played Hamlet in the California State University, Northridge (CSUN) production. The introduction of those from professional theater into departmental productions was an innovative attempt to provide the students of CSUN's Theater Department with instruction beyond that which can be provided in a classroom. CSUN University Digital Archives.
Men rest beneath two fan palms, perhaps planted by Spanish missionaries, in front of Mission San Fernando (ca. 1886), courtesy of the Title Insurance and Trust-C.C. Pierce Photography Collection of the USC Libraries.
Melody Ranch Burns Down, Aug 28,1962. When the smoke cleared three days later, 17,200 acres had been scorched and 15 structures and numerous out-buildings were lost. No one was killed, but the Western street at Melody Ranch was gone. "I had always planned to erect a Western museum there," Autry remembered in 1995, "but priceless Indian relics and a collection of rare guns, including a set used by Billy the Kid, went up in smoke.
Fred Solomon leads the foot race at one of the Los Angeles orphans' outings he sponsored annually in Topanga, circa 1920s. This property became a shopping center in the late forties. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.