Lankershim & Van Nuys Ranchos - Van Nuys Townsite and Lankershim Townsite - San Fernando Valley advertising postcard - the Lankershim Development Company, 435 South Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA., circa 1911.San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A postcard featuring Southern Pacific Railroad's Coast Daylight (aka Southern Pacific No. 99), moving northbound near Chatsworth, circa 1940. The Coast Daylight operated between Los Angeles and San Francisco from dawn to dusk. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A comparative statement of crime statistics for the months of December, 1924 and December, 1925, for the Glendale Police Department. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Annual report for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1960 printed by the Department of Airports, City of Los Angeles. Pages 14 and 15 of this brochure have information on the proposed construction at Van Nuys Airport. West Van Nuys Chamber of Commerce Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
San Fernando Tunnel - Newhall Pass. Construction of the tunnel began on March 22, 1875 and it was completed on July 14, 1876. Hundreds of Chinese laborers worked on the tunnel. The tunnel was considered a great engineering achievement at the time and it was important because it connected Northern and Southern California by rail. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
This is believed to be the last of the four "compass trees" that were planted by the padres who resided in the local missions in the late 1700's. These sycamore trees marked the gateway to the San Fernando Valley and served as a guide for travelers, as well as the padres who traveled from mission to mission. The trees were planted in a "V" formation and each tree pointed to a direction on the compass. Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Birmingham Veterans Administration Hospital - Administration Building and Nurses Quarters, Van Nuys, California. "The center building immediately behind the flag pole and circle houses only part of the administrative offices of the hospital. About 350 nurses are housed in six other buildings of the type shown here." San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.