The Mission Play, John Steven McGroarty's contribution to California culture, tells the idealized story of Junipero Serra, the Franciscan priest responsible for the founding of eight of the twenty-one coastal Catholic missions in Alta Calfironia, between 1769 and 1782. First performed on August 29, 1912, McGroarty's play ran for more than 20 years and was viewed by more than two and a half million people. McGroarty Arts Center. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The West Coast Magazine "Official Fiesta Programme" April-May 1907. The bi-monthly magazine, of which John Steven McGroarty was editor from 1906 to 1914, was published in Los Angeles by Grafton Company Publishers. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
John Steven McGroarty and Marie Walsh at the San Fernando Mission Sept. 8, 1931. McGroarty had a distinguished career as the first mayor of Tujunga, a California State Senator, California Poet Laureate and a playwright, journalist and author. Marie Walsh Harrington was the wife of Dr. Mark Harrington. Harrington was the director of the Southwest Museum and restored the Andres Pico Adobe. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library
The Millionaires Club of Happiness and Contentment's philosophy, signed by Mildred W. Brigham, circa 1915-1921.The club consisted of a local group of men who met in front of the Tujunga Post Office to visit and discuss local issues. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Program for the San Fernando Junior Cosmos Seventh Annual Fashion Show at Glen-Aire Country Club in Sherman Oaks, October 23, 1954. The event was a benefit to raise funds to redecorate the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) House in San Fernando. The show featured fashions from Lucille's 'Round the Clock shop in San Fernando and Judan Originals in Inglewood. San Fernando Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Glendale police officer Byron Green and his 2-1/2 year old daughter Vicki Ann hanging wash at the Glen Vet Court housing project on Colorado Street west of San Fernando Road in Glendale, August 1953. Housing up to ninety-nine veterans and their families, this city-owned project was built in 1946 to serve as temporary residence until the families were able to move into private housing. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.