This photograph shows the local Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), the California State Society Daughters of the American Revolution (CSSDAR) and the Children of the American Revolution (CAR) at the San Fernando Mission celebrating the Mission's bicentennial in 1997. San Fernando Valley Genealogical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Anna Mary Forrester was the daughter of Peter Forrester, a native of Scotland. She arrived in California about 1852 and married Benigno Pico at Misión San Luís Obispoon January 6, 1864. Anna was 87-years-old when she died at her home at 451 Mission Street, San Fernando, California, where she had resided since 1877. San Fernando Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Chatsworth Street in Granada Hills, California, circa 1940s. This photograph depicts the the curved corner of Zelzah Avenue and Chatsworth Street. San Fernando Valley Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Throughout the early twentieth century, the San Fernando Valley was farmland; wheat, avocados, oranges, and squash grew in abundance. Founded in 1910 along the Southern Pacific Railroad in the northwest San Fernando Valley, it was among the early housing tracts carved from the former Mission Rancho San Fernando lands. The post office and train depot were renamed Northridge in 1938. Today, California State University, Northridge sits on a portion of that land. CSUN University Archives.
Glendale police officer Byron Green and his 2-1/2 year old daughter Vicki Ann hanging wash at the Glen Vet Court housing project on Colorado Street west of San Fernando Road in Glendale, August 1953. Housing up to ninety-nine veterans and their families, this city-owned project was built in 1946 to serve as temporary residence until the families were able to move into private housing. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
San Fernando Tunnel - Newhall Pass. Construction of the tunnel began on March 22, 1875 and it was completed on July 14, 1876. Hundreds of Chinese laborers worked on the tunnel. The tunnel was considered a great engineering achievement at the time and it was important because it connected Northern and Southern California by rail. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A drinking fountain for animals located in Burbank, California. The fountain was built in 1890 by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Handwritten on the photograph, "Early day drinking fountain on Olive Street". Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.