Police and student demonstrators meet on the campus of San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN), January 8, 1969. In November of 1968, student activists with demands for educational reform, including ethnic studies departments, went into action on the SFVSC campus. The following January, a rally turned violent in front of the Administration Building. CSUN University Digital Archives.
Campus newspaper at San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN), the Daily Sundial, ran this front-page illustration in the shape of a helmeted soldier in October 1969. Within the silhouette of the soldier's head is newsprint; the articles chosen represent those concerning Vietnam War dead from Southern California.
Throughout the early twentieth century, the San Fernando Valley was farmland; wheat, avocados, oranges, and squash grew in abundance. Founded in 1910 along the Southern Pacific Railroad in the northwest San Fernando Valley, it was among the early housing tracts carved from the former Mission Rancho San Fernando lands. The post office and train depot were renamed Northridge in 1938. Today, California State University, Northridge sits on a portion of that land. CSUN University Archives.
Students at San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN) demand information after a section of the Administration Building (now known as Bayramian Hall) is burned. Their demands are simple -- convene a committee to receive evidence and hear testimony in order to uncover as much of the truth as is possible. Students were asked to put their contact information at the bottom of the flier to be part of the committee, called the Students Committee on Conflict. CSUN University Digital Archives.
Devonshire Downs flier, circa 1960-1965. Flier advertising the availability of Devonshire Downs for use as an exposition facility and fair grounds. It was owned and operated by the San Fernando Valley State College and located on what is now part of the California State University, Northridge campus. The Downs hosted concerts such as Jimi Hendrix in the late 1960's. Chatsworth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
"El Popo" is the student newspaper produced by M.E.Ch.A. (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán) of San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN). The paper was launched by then-student Frank del Olmo, later a well-known Los Angeles journalist and voice for the Latino community. This is the front page of the first issue. CSUN University Archives.
Front page of the Daily Sundial, campus newspaper of San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN), immediately following the Sylmar Earthquake in February 1971. The front page image is that of thousands of books littering the floor of the old Library. Designated South Library after the completion of the Delmar T. Oviatt Library in 1973, it was demolished following the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. CSUN University Digital Archives .
Front page of the Daily Sundial, "The Rising Cost of Education," September 21, 1971. Pictured are caricatures of political leaders and campus administrators. A student appears to be being crushed under the weight of bureaucrats and education costs, while Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, and President Cleary look on.
Campus of San Fernando Valley State College (now California State University, Northridge), aerial view looking east from Reseda Blvd., March 11, 1962. Reseda Blvd. in the foreground, the Music Building, Nordhoff Hall on the edge of Nordhoff St., right. Sierra Hall construction site is visible in the center. CSUN University Archives.San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.