The Millionaires Club of Happiness and Contentment's philosophy, signed by Mildred W. Brigham, circa 1915-1921.The club consisted of a local group of men who met in front of the Tujunga Post Office to visit and discuss local issues. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Club Consisted, Post, 1915 1921 The Club, Contentment S Philosophy, Discuss Local, Digital Collections, Circa 1915 1921 The
Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Rotary Gram Newsletter, Nuys Rotary Gram, Valley, Community Service, Digital Collections
Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Marx Cooper, History Digital, Fernando Valley, Abt 1918, Percy Masson, Digital Collections, Samuel Marx
Program for Biennial General Federation of Women's Club Memorial Service, Hollywood Bowl, June 8, 1924. Event co-sponsored by the various women's clubs of Los Angeles including the women's clubs of the San Fernando Valley. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Club Memorial, Hollywood Bowl, Digital Collections, Club Collection
Lockheed Vice President Carl B. Squier (pictured right) talking with Howard Hughes in the Main Street Lockheed Air Terminal, ca. 1940. Coralie Hewitt Tillack Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Lockheed Vice, Fernando Valley, Hewitt Tillack, Digital Collections, Coralie Hewitt
Title page of the Registro de Bautismos, the Baptism Registers, San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission. It was signed by Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen on September 8, 1797. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Baptism Registers, From Spain, De Lasuen, De Bautismos, Baby Boomer, Digital, Of Spain, San Fernando Valley
The Chosen Valley of the Little Landers, Los Angeles Evening Express, May 3, 1913. William E. Smythe started the movement known as "Little Lands." This advertisement beckons prospective colony members with inexpensive quarter-acre plots, soft water, "high social and intellectual life" and all the enticements of country living. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Quarter Acre Plots, Advertisement Beckons, Inexpensive Quarter Acre, Angeles Evening, Chosen Valley, Digital, Beckons Prospective
This letter from John Steven McGroarty to Mrs. Louise Watkins, a member of the Drama Section Committee of the Friday Morning Club, conveys his intention to attend a club meeting of the Drama Section on April 15, 1930. The letter was written on Mission Playhouse letterhead celebrating the 3000th performance of the Mission Play, and bears McGroarty's signature. John Steven McGroarty Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Mcgroarty Collection, Mission Playhouse, Friday Morning, Morning Club, Playhouse Letterhead, Letterhead Celebrating, Drama, Digital Collections
Mrs. Martha McClure, the first president of the Mother's Club of Marian, 1918. The Club was formed May 2, 1918 with the stated purpose, "to be of patriotic service, to become a center for broader social life and work unitedly for the advancement of both school and community." In 1922, the town of Marian changed its name to present-day Reseda and the club became known as the Reseda Woman's Club. Reseda Woman's Club Collection, 1918-1987. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
President, School, Mothers, Digital Collections, Club Collection
Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.