Discover and save creative ideas
    Explore these ideas and more!

    Arrowheads found in Big Tujunga Canyon. The Tongva village at the mouth of Big Tujunga Canyon was the largest Native American settlement in the Los Angeles area, dating back to 435 A.D. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Sorting room at the Adams Olive Cannery, located in the Sunland/Tujunga area, circa 1920s. Photographer: J. H. Lamson. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Men lined-up in front of See's Barber Shop in Tujunga, California, for a haircut, 1930. Overhead sign reads, "SEE moves to Lower Skid Row." Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Manzanita tree in the canyon between Blue Bird Drive and Blackbird Way in Park Moderne, Calabasas. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Single Family Housing in Sunland-Tujunga :: San Fernando Valley History

    Wine tasting in Sunland-Tujunga, ca. 1910s. The foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in the Sunland-Tujunga area were once the site of vineyards. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Tujunga Theatre, 1943 :: San Fernando Valley History

    Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Page from a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features photograph of the entrance to Memory Garden, located on Brand Boulevard, an advertisement for Sizzler restaurant on Sepulveda Boulevard at Devonshire Street, and lists local sports facilities for Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    View of Commerce Street in Tujunga, circa 1950. Commerce Street is located at the foothills of the northern rim of the San Fernando Valley. Caption on the verso reads, "It is considered one of the most healthful spots in the country." San Fernando Valley Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    A drinking fountain for animals located in Burbank, California. The fountain was built in 1890 by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Handwritten on the photograph, "Early day drinking fountain on Olive Street". Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Official program for the Fiesta de la Mission San Fernando featuring Charles E. Pressley's Pageant "Prayer of the Padre" in six episodes, June 5-7, 1931. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Cartoon illustrating the closure of Lockheed's Van Nuys plant by the US Government. Original art appeared in The American Aeronaut, March 4, 1964. International Association of Machinists Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Stamps from a World War II-era ration booklet issued to Vincent J. Graziano of North Hollywood, circa early 1940s. The stamps were traded for such scarce commodities as sugar, butter, coffee and beef steak. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    The Chosen Valley of the Little Landers, Los Angeles Evening Express, May 3, 1913. William E. Smythe started the movement known as "Little Lands." This advertisement beckons prospective colony members with inexpensive quarter-acre plots, soft water, "high social and intellectual life" and all the enticements of country living. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Tongva people - original settlers of the Sunland-Tujunga area. Wikipedia