A car takes out a lamp post in an accident on the rain-soaked streets of Glendale, circa 1930s. Photographed by the Glendale Police Department. Be careful out there. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
John Carpenter's Heaven on Earth Ranch, circa 1940s. The Riding Ranch offered carriage rides for adults and wagon rides for children. The photograph shows carriages and wagons lined up and ready for the trail ride. On the right is Canadas General Store. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
John Steven McGroarty and Marie Walsh at the San Fernando Mission Sept. 8, 1931. McGroarty had a distinguished career as the first mayor of Tujunga, a California State Senator, California Poet Laureate and a playwright, journalist and author. Marie Walsh Harrington was the wife of Dr. Mark Harrington. Harrington was the director of the Southwest Museum and restored the Andres Pico Adobe. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library
In the late 1950s and early 1960s, whites in Fayette and Haywood Counties, Tennessee, used their economic advantage to penalize African Americans who attempted to exercise their voting rights. African American communities in Los Angeles responded by offering aid to displaced and unemployed residents. Institute for Arts and Media Photographs.
This is believed to be the last of the four "compass trees" that were planted by the padres who resided in the local missions in the late 1700's. These sycamore trees marked the gateway to the San Fernando Valley and served as a guide for travelers, as well as the padres who traveled from mission to mission. The trees were planted in a "V" formation and each tree pointed to a direction on the compass. Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Over 50 cars were on exhibit at San Fernando's first annual Cinco de Mayo Low Rider Car Show, held at the San Fernando Mall, May 1,1983. In the foreground is Joe Abeyto's "Scarlet Fever" which won first place trophies in "Best Use of Chrome" and "Luxury Custom" categories. Robert and Betty Franklin Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Chief V. B. Brown gives a demonstration of the first two-way radio telephone in the Glendale Police Department's patrol cars, 1938. The motorcycle officer is Wes Owen. The call letters KQCI became the identifier of the Glendale Police Department radio telephone. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.