More from this board

A birthday party at the Hartranft home, the Lazy Lonesome Ranch, for Bud Hartranft, son of Marshall and Lou Hartranft. Marshall Hartranft was one of the three men instrumental in establishing the Utopian community of the "Little Lands" in the Sunland-Tujunga area. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Men and boys in front of Al Oliver's Barbershop located on the southwest corner of Everett Street and Wilson Avenue in Glendale, circa 1900. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A photograph of the official California State University, Northridge (CSUN), 1984 NCAA Championship baseball, signed by the CSUN team. CSUN University Archives.

"El Popo" is the student newspaper produced by M.E.Ch.A. (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán) of San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN). The paper was launched by then-student Frank del Olmo, later a well-known Los Angeles journalist and voice for the Latino community. This is the front page of the first issue. CSUN University Archives.

Aerial view of the crowd gathered at San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN) to hear presidential candidate Eugene McCarthy speak at the 1968 California Political Forum. The Forum brought to campus a number of high-profile politicians, including McCarthy and 1968 Primary-election opponent Robert F. Kennedy. CSUN University Digital Archives.

Associated Student Body welcome to the San Fernando Valley campus of Los Angeles State College (now CSUN). This cartoon, from the campus newspaper, ran early in the 1957 Spring semester. CSUN University Digital Archives.

La Casa de Esperanza, November 16, 1973. This image is one of a collection of mural photographs that accompany articles written by Frank del Olmo, a staff writer who specialized in Latin American affairs for the Los Angeles Times. Frank del Olmo Collection. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.

Hotel Burbank (aka The Senate Hotel), 1910. The hotel was built in 1876 for the railroad workers, so they would have a place to stay while working on the railroad. Sometime between 1957 and 1969, the hotel was renamed The Senate Hotel. In June of 1969 the owners of the hotel, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Madsen, had the hotel demolished to make way for the new home of the Swiss Dane Corporation, a sheet metal contracting firm. Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Rogerio Rocha, standing near a cactus patch, 1898. Rocha, who died in 1904, was the last of the original Indians to live at the San Fernando Mission. Rocha was a silversmith, blacksmith, high ranking tribe member. Glendale Central Public Library, San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait of students at Morningside Elementary school, circa 1900. The school is located at 576 Maclay Avenue in San Fernando, California. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Jess Willard or "The Great White Hope" was the one-time heavy weight boxing champion of the world, from 1915 to 1919, who beat Jack Johnson and Frank Morgan. He was born December 29, 1881 in St. Clere, Kansas. He retired from boxing in 1919 after losing in 3 rounds to Jack Dempsey. He owned several homes in the Los Angeles and Glendale areas before moving to the San Fernando Valley. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Interior view of the Liberty School in Las Virgenes, circa 1911. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Thirteen-year-old Richard Petri, a Burbank newspaper delivery boy, picks up the Valley Times for his morning route, 1949. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Bill's Taco House, Los Angeles, 1967. Henry "Hank" Silva bought the Taco House from its original owner in the 1950s, and sold it in 1985. The restaurant still stands today at 3292 W. Slauson Ave. Henry Adams Collection. Institute for Arts and Media Photographs.

Calabasas schoolboys posing in a line, circa 1920s. Left to Right: Percy Massen, Fred Tucker, Frank Cooper, Walt Penland, Joe Lee, Stanley Massen, Jerry Grant. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A soap box derby accident on Bel Aire Avenue in Glendale, circa 1940s. The Soap Box Derby was named in 1933 when a Dayton Daily News photographer encountered three boys racing home-made, engineless cars and decided to encourage the youths by holding a competition complete with a prize. Soap box racing evolved into a nationwide pastime. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Four generations of Verdugo women, 1925. Senora Maria Verdugo de Chaugo with her daughter Senora Rafaela Urquidez, granddaughter Senor Maria Pettit and great-granddaughter Senorita Carlotta Pettit at the Verdugo Adobe. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

First pool hall in San Fernando, circa 1912. Bruno Praster, the owner, is the second person from the right. To the right of him is Roy York. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

San Fernando Mission, with aAview of the cloisters looking east, circa 1900. On the right is the star shaped fountain. The San Fernando Mission was founded on September 8, 1797, by Father Fermin Lasuen, The San Fernando Mission was the seventeenth in a succession of twenty-one missions established in the state. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Verso of a postcard announcing the Third Round-Up of the North Hollywood Pioneer's Club, to be held at Hody's located at the corner of Oxnard Street and Lankershim Boulevard, May 2, 1953. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Santa Clarita Valley residents protest planned toxic waste dump, August 13, 1979. This meeting, held at College of the Canyons, presented plans for a proposed $15 million waste treatment site off Highway 14. The proposed site intended to accept toxic, explosive, and hazardous substances such as pesticides, acids, cleaning fluids, heavy metals, petroleum, and a variety of hazardous chemical mixtures. Robert and Betty Franklin Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Three-dimensional model of the iconic CSUN sculpture, circa 1973. Located at the corner of Nordhoff Sreet and Zelzah Avenue, the sculpture reads the same when viewed from different angles. It was created by then-CSUN art student John Banks. CSUN University Digital Archives.

Portrait of Gen. George B. McClellan, circa 1861. John M. Sell Civil War Collection. Civil War Narratives.

Ray Sence's Farm, circa 1917. Ray Sence was the son of Addison Sence, who was an early pioneer of Burbank. Addison and his family moved to Burbank in 1903. Ray and Addison owned and ran a feed and fuel supply business in Burbank. Later they expanded the business and opened stores in Roscoe, Reseda, and Lancaster. Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.