Discover and save creative ideas

    Groundbreaking for Los Angeles State College, San Fernando Valley Campus (now CSUN), January, 1956. From left to right: Howard McDonald, then President of L.A. State; Gov. Goodwin Knight; Superintendent of Public Instruction Roy E. Simpson; and Patricia Kulpatric, L.A. State Homecoming Queen. CSUN University Digital Archives.

    2y

    1 comment

    • Sophie's Choice

      Groundbreaking for Los Angeles State College, San Fernando Valley Campus (now CSUN), January, 1956. From left to right: Howard McDonald, then President of L.A. State; Gov. Goodwin Knight; Superintendent of Public Instruction Roy E. Simpson; and Patricia Kulpatric, L.A. State Homecoming Queen. CSUN University Digital Archives.

    People also love

    Front page of the Daily Sundial, campus newspaper at California State University, Northridge (CSUN), featuring a photo of newly elected Associated Students president William Watkins, May 4, 1973 . Watkins won the election in a close and controversial race against Jim Conran. Conran went on to become A.S. president in 1974. Watkins currently serves as the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students at CSUN. CSUN University Digital Archives.

    Mrs. Martha McClure, the first president of the Mother's Club of Marian, 1918. The Club was formed May 2, 1918 with the stated purpose, "to be of patriotic service, to become a center for broader social life and work unitedly for the advancement of both school and community." In 1922, the town of Marian changed its name to present-day Reseda and the club became known as the Reseda Woman's Club. Reseda Woman's Club Collection, 1918-1987. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Portrait of L. C. Brand, circa 1910. Brand came to California in 1886 and started the Los Angeles Abstract Company with Edwin Sargent. He and Henry E. Huntington formed the San Fernando Valley Land and Development Company. Brand was president of the Los Angeles and Glendale Railroad Company which provided connections from Los Angeles to Glendale with extensions to Burbank, Pasadena, and Griffith Park. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Letter from Cesar Chavez to Julian Nava, May 11, 1971. Nava and Chavez worked together throughout their careers. In 1967, Chavez, then president of the National Farm Workers Association (later the United Farm Workers), assisted Nava in his candidacy for the Los Angeles Board of Education. In this letter, Chavez thanks Nava for writing a letter to Congressman Barry Morris Goldwater, Jr., the son of Senator Barry Goldwater. Julian Nava Collection. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.

    In 1980 Julian Nava became the first person selected as the "Hispanic of the Year" and was honored at an awards dinner on September 3, 1980. James W. Cleary, president of California State University, Northridge from 1969 to 1992, wrote this letter congratulating Nava on his achievements. Julian Nava Collection.

    First page of a letter from President Jimmy Carter to Julian Nava, April 3, 1980. In April 3, 1980 Julian Nava became the first Mexican-American appointed U.S. Ambassador to Mexico under the Carter Administration. When President Carter was not re-elected in 1980, the Reagan administration declined to keep Nava in his position and instead informed Nava that his successor had been selected. Julian Nava Collection. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.

    Cartoon from the Sundial, campus newspaper at San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN). "CCAA - Good Luck Matadors In Your First Game!!" September 29, 1961. CSUN University Archives.

    Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Poster from Culture Clash's "The Mission" at the Los Angeles Theater Center. Ric Salinas Culture Clash Collection.