Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

Glendale anti-incorporation political propaganda postcard, 1906. One of four political postcards mailed out by the Verdugo Improvement Association to educate the public on the cons of Glendale incorporating into its own city. Glendale incorporated later that year. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Activity in front of the Glendale Stables, located on Glendale Avenue, 1909. The stable was owned and operated by Thomas O. Pierce. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Grading Dead Horse Canyon for a new housing development, Glendale, 1963. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A comparative statement of crime statistics for the months of December, 1924 and December, 1925, for the Glendale Police Department. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

President Gerald Ford visits Glendale in 1976 to help give the "Annual Days of Verdugo Festival" an impressive send-off, 1976. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Men and boys in front of Al Oliver's Barbershop located on the southwest corner of Everett Street and Wilson Avenue in Glendale, circa 1900. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Glendale police officer Byron Green and his 2-1/2 year old daughter Vicki Ann hanging wash at the Glen Vet Court housing project on Colorado Street west of San Fernando Road in Glendale, August 1953. Housing up to ninety-nine veterans and their families, this city-owned project was built in 1946 to serve as temporary residence until the families were able to move into private housing. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Rushing waters during a flood in Glendale, in front of the Adams Square Apartments looking east, February 20, 1941. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library

The exterior of the Comalt Company, Inc. after a bust during a prohibition raid by the Glendale Police Department, March 22, 1928. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Tropico Post Office circa 1910. The building was owned by W. C. B. Richardson and was located at the corner of Central and San Fernando. Glendale Central Public Library. San fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Program for the San Fernando Junior Cosmos Seventh Annual Fashion Show at Glen-Aire Country Club in Sherman Oaks, October 23, 1954. The event was a benefit to raise funds to redecorate the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) House in San Fernando. The show featured fashions from Lucille's 'Round the Clock shop in San Fernando and Judan Originals in Inglewood. San Fernando Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Title page of the Registro de Bautismos, the Baptism Registers, San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission. It was signed by Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen on September 8, 1797. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Anna Mary Forrester was the daughter of Peter Forrester, a native of Scotland. She arrived in California about 1852 and married Benigno Pico at Misión San Luís Obispoon January 6, 1864. Anna was 87-years-old when she died at her home at 451 Mission Street, San Fernando, California, where she had resided since 1877. San Fernando Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Cartoon illustrating a female worker learning how to load a rivet gun. Original art appeared in The American Aeronaut, December 5, 1941, Vol. 2, No. 26. International Association of Machinists, District Lodge 727. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.