Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

Worker loading oranges into crates to be brought to the Canoga Citrus Association packing house for processing, circa 1935-1945. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2

A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

7

Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

7
2

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

16
2

Lark Day, Owensmouth Women's Club, April 1930. Women pictured in costume. "Owensmouth Women's Club gathered for the annual Lark Day celebration... Costumes from all lands and from all stations in life were the cause for much admiration and merriment." San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2
1

Anna Mary Forrester was the daughter of Peter Forrester, a native of Scotland. She arrived in California about 1852 and married Benigno Pico at Misión San Luís Obispoon January 6, 1864. Anna was 87-years-old when she died at her home at 451 Mission Street, San Fernando, California, where she had resided since 1877. San Fernando Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

3
1

Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

5

Sheet music for the 1940's tune "San Fernando Valley: I'm Packing My Grip" sung by Bing Crosby. Words and music written by Gordon Jenkins. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

5
1

Lark Day, Owensmouth Women's Club, April 1930. "The Owensmouth Women's Club gathered for the annual Lark Day celebration... Costumes from all lands and from all stations in life were the cause for much admiration and merriment." Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2

Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

4

The San Fernando Power House in Sylmar, under construction in 1917. It was owned by the Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

5

Looking north towards what is now Chatsworth Street and Sepulveda Boulevard. In the distance, the San Fernando Mission is visible, surrounded by open land. circa 1920. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

5
1

Old stage coach road in Chatsworth shows the rough terrain over which the stage lines traveled. The road dates from the 1860's and represents a period in the Valley when the trail linked Los Angeles, Encino, Simi Valley, and Ventura. It was declared an historic-cultural monument on January 5, 1972. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

9
2

Group portrait outside Schlitz brewery, Van Nuys, late 1950s. Two men in the photo are identified: second from the left, C. Merle Duckett, and sixth from the left, Walter Burke. Valley Industry and Commerce Association. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Installation of a gas line for Southern California Gas Company along San Fernando Road, 1910. The line was finished in 1912. By 1913, gas was being transported from the natural gas fields near Taft, California to the Burbank area. By 1924, services reached to Tujunga. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

3

Cartoon illustrating the closure of Lockheed's Van Nuys plant by the US Government. Original art appeared in The American Aeronaut, March 4, 1964. International Association of Machinists Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

1