Discover and save creative ideas

    Receipt from Mose the Furniture Man of the Douglas Furniture Store advertising payment plans, June 6, 1917. Many businesses offered payment or installment plans to allow their customers to purchase expensive items without having to provide the entire amount at once. Felipe and Blandina (Guerrero) Rodriguez Family Papers. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    "Alert: A weekly confidential report on communism and how to combat it" produced by Jacoby & Gibbons and Associates, Anti-Subversive Public Relations Specialists in Los Angles, dated October 12, 1950. This issue specifically targets Assemblyman Julian Beck. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Mrs. Martha McClure, the first president of the Mother's Club of Marian, 1918. The Club was formed May 2, 1918 with the stated purpose, "to be of patriotic service, to become a center for broader social life and work unitedly for the advancement of both school and community." In 1922, the town of Marian changed its name to present-day Reseda and the club became known as the Reseda Woman's Club. Reseda Woman's Club Collection, 1918-1987. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Page from a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features photograph of the entrance to Memory Garden, located on Brand Boulevard, an advertisement for Sizzler restaurant on Sepulveda Boulevard at Devonshire Street, and lists local sports facilities for Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    The Chosen Valley of the Little Landers, Los Angeles Evening Express, May 3, 1913. William E. Smythe started the movement known as "Little Lands." This advertisement beckons prospective colony members with inexpensive quarter-acre plots, soft water, "high social and intellectual life" and all the enticements of country living. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Front page of Voz Fronteriza, February 1977. Founded in 1975, this quarterly Chicana/o student newspaper is an official campus print media of the University of California, San Diego. The cover show a group of people protesting the Bakke decision, an important Supreme Court ruling on affirmative action. Rodolfo Acuña Papers. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.