Ludmilla Luvdorski at work, Tientsin,China, 1946. Luvdorski was a Russian secretary who worked in the Civil Affairs Office, typing memorandums that magically got things done such as automobiles returned from Japanese military to civilian owners, schools opened, and the repatriation of refugees. Harold Giedt Photographs. Faces of Tientsin.
The Millionaires Club of Happiness and Contentment's philosophy, signed by Mildred W. Brigham, circa 1915-1921.The club consisted of a local group of men who met in front of the Tujunga Post Office to visit and discuss local issues. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Printed image of a bird in hand with the words "Friendship and Love," found in the diary of James F. Dargan, circa 1862-1863. Dargan served as a Union solder in the US Civil War, and kept a diary which includes descriptions of his enlistment, camp life, gossip about fellow soldiers, and military discipline. Scattered throughout the diary are lines of verse, original sketches, clippings, pressed flowers, ribbons, cards, and other ephemera. Civil War Narratives Digital Collections.
This flyer calls citizens to "Save the trees at Orcutt" by participating in a meeting at Justice Street School in Canoga Park, June 22, 1971. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss the removal of eucalyptus and palm trees near Orcutt Ranch Park. Santa Susana Mountain Park Association. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Tropico Post Office circa 1910. The building was owned by W. C. B. Richardson and was located at the corner of Central and San Fernando. Glendale Central Public Library. San fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Brochure for W. P. Whitsett's free automobile tour to Van Nuys around 1912. Whitsett owned half interest in the town and was one of its greatest promoters. Los Angeles Valley College Historical Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Native American woman standing next to the San Fernando Mission. The San Fernando Mission was founded on September 8, 1797, by Father Fermin Lasuen, who followed the footsteps of Father Junipero Serra. The San Fernando Mission was the seventeenth in a succession of twenty-one missions established in the state. The Mission is located at 15151 San Fernando Mission Blvd., Mission Hills, California. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A young boy being evacuated from Tientsin, checks out the river on the Landing Ship Medium, as the ship proceeds down the Hai He River to Tangku in Tientsin, March 1946. Harold Giedt Collection. Old China Hands Archives.
Lt. Harold and Ensign Jerry Walsh of G5 (Civil Affairs), III Amphibious Corps, seated in a Jeep in front of the former German Consulate that served as Bachelor Officers' Quarters, Tientsin, Winter 1946. Amphibious refers to the fact that the Corps could operate on both land and water. Harold Giedt Collection. Old China Hands Archive.
Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.