Young men picking fruit on Albert Prince's orchard in North Hollywood, 1920s. Prince is standing on the left holding a piece of wood. The area is now part of North Hollywood Park. Weddington Family Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Stamps from a World War II-era ration booklet issued to Vincent J. Graziano of North Hollywood, circa early 1940s. The stamps were traded for such scarce commodities as sugar, butter, coffee and beef steak. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Chatsworth Street in Granada Hills, California, circa 1940s. This photograph depicts the the curved corner of Zelzah Avenue and Chatsworth Street. San Fernando Valley Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The North Hollywood Pacific Electric Car Station was located at the intersection of Chandler and Lankershim Boulevards. It was part of a very efficient rail system that was dismantled due to competition from the automobile in 1952. This picture probably dates from 1919. Los Angeles Valley College Historical Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Hollywood Way, looking south, approaching Lockheed Air Terminal in 1944. Camouflage is visible on the roof of the plant. On the left is the Vega Plant which was the first plant to use fluorescent lighting. Sign for the Skyroom Cafe is on the left; the Terminal Drive-In is on the right. Coralie Hewitt Tillack Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The North Hollywood Regional Library is located at 5211 Tujunga Avenue, at the intersection of Tujunga Avenue and Magnolia Boulevard. The library was built in 1930 and was renamed the North Hollywood Amelia M. Earhart Regional Branch Library in 1981. The library is located on the grounds of North Hollywood Park, formerly Lankershim Park. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Brochure for W. P. Whitsett's free automobile tour to Van Nuys around 1912. Whitsett owned half interest in the town and was one of its greatest promoters. Los Angeles Valley College Historical Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Lankershim & Van Nuys Ranchos - Van Nuys Townsite and Lankershim Townsite - San Fernando Valley advertising postcard - the Lankershim Development Company, 435 South Hill Street, Los Angeles, CA., circa 1911.San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Lankershim Bakery and T. W. Herron's Store located at Magnolia Boulevard and Lankershim Boulevard, circa 1915. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Men in Lankershim, now North Hollywood, in a field of pumpkins in 1915. Pumpkins were sometimes called "Lankershim oranges" at that time. Weddington Family Collection.

The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Wine tasting in Sunland-Tujunga, CA. 1910s. The foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in the Sunland-Tujunga area were once the site of vineyards. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Hose Company No. 4 | 1919 African American fire fighters stationed at Hose Company No. 4, Los Angeles, CA