Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

In 1948, President Harry S. Truman stopped at the Southern Pacific train depot in Glendale to give a five minuite campaign speech. Next to Truman (from right to left) are James Roosevelt, Everett G. Burkhalter (former state assemblymen), Richard R. Rogan (chairman of the welcoming committee), and Floyd J. Jolley (Glendale city councilman). Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Activity in front of the Glendale Stables, located on Glendale Avenue, 1909. The stable was owned and operated by Thomas O. Pierce. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Grading Dead Horse Canyon for a new housing development, Glendale, 1963. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

President Gerald Ford visits Glendale in 1976 to help give the "Annual Days of Verdugo Festival" an impressive send-off, 1976. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The exterior of the Comalt Company, Inc. after a bust during a prohibition raid by the Glendale Police Department, March 22, 1928. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Men and boys in front of Al Oliver's Barbershop located on the southwest corner of Everett Street and Wilson Avenue in Glendale, circa 1900. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Emperor Haile Salassie of Ethiopia visiting the Glendale Sanitarium during his tour of the United States in 1954. The Emperor also visited friends, whom he had met when they were living in Ethiopia working as missionaries for the Seventh-Day Adventist Church.Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A panoramic view of Verdugo Canyon with El Roble de la Paz, the Verdugo Adobe, at 2211 Bonita Drive in Glendale, visible, 1911. The adobe is the last of five built by Teadoro Verdudo in 1860. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.