Display of wood carvings made by William Nicholson of Tujunga. Nicholson carved while sitting on the porch of his store, Nicholson and Nicholson Groceries, at 10227 Commerce Ave. (now a private residence) from 1917 to 1948. He often won prizes for his carvings. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Anna Mary Forrester was the daughter of Peter Forrester, a native of Scotland. She arrived in California about 1852 and married Benigno Pico at Misión San Luís Obispoon January 6, 1864. Anna was 87-years-old when she died at her home at 451 Mission Street, San Fernando, California, where she had resided since 1877. San Fernando Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Title page of the Registro de Bautismos, the Baptism Registers, San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission. It was signed by Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen on September 8, 1797. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Program for the San Fernando Junior Cosmos Seventh Annual Fashion Show at Glen-Aire Country Club in Sherman Oaks, October 23, 1954. The event was a benefit to raise funds to redecorate the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) House in San Fernando. The show featured fashions from Lucille's 'Round the Clock shop in San Fernando and Judan Originals in Inglewood. San Fernando Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.
Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Letter from Cesar Chavez to Julian Nava, May 11, 1971. Nava and Chavez worked together throughout their careers. In 1967, Chavez, then president of the National Farm Workers Association (later the United Farm Workers), assisted Nava in his candidacy for the Los Angeles Board of Education. In this letter, Chavez thanks Nava for writing a letter to Congressman Barry Morris Goldwater, Jr., the son of Senator Barry Goldwater. Julian Nava Collection. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.
Apache Painted Rawhide Playing Cards Set of 37; all painted in red, yellow, and blue; 3.5 in. x 2.25 in.; 19th century. Historical society states that these cards were accessioned in 1908 and were used for the game of Monte.