Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

Portrait of L. C. Brand, circa 1910. Brand came to California in 1886 and started the Los Angeles Abstract Company with Edwin Sargent. He and Henry E. Huntington formed the San Fernando Valley Land and Development Company. Brand was president of the Los Angeles and Glendale Railroad Company which provided connections from Los Angeles to Glendale with extensions to Burbank, Pasadena, and Griffith Park. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

11
2

Tropico Post Office circa 1910. The building was owned by W. C. B. Richardson and was located at the corner of Central and San Fernando. Glendale Central Public Library -- San fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2
1

Grading Dead Horse Canyon for a new housing development, Glendale, 1963. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

3
1

Native Americans posing at San Fernando Mission, circa 1880. Photo credit: Title Insurance and Trust Company. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

71
12
1

The exterior of the Comalt Company, Inc. after a bust during a prohibition raid by the Glendale Police Department, March 22, 1928. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

1

Map from the San Fernando Land and Water Company, advertising 20,000 acres of land for sale in the San Fernando Valley, circa 1880s. The land was sold at $150 an acre. The former owner of the land was California State Senator Charles Maclay who donated $150,000 to endow the College of Theology of the University of Southern California. MultiCultural Music and Art Foundation of Northridge. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2
1

Pack train to Switzer's Camp in Glendale, circa 1910. Switzer's Camp was the brainchild of Commodore C. P. Switzer, Los Angeles carpenter and former plainsman, who established the resort in the early 1880s. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

1

Glendale police officer Byron Green and his 2-1/2 year old daughter Vicki Ann hanging wash at the Glen Vet Court housing project on Colorado Street west of San Fernando Road in Glendale, August 1953. Housing up to ninety-nine veterans and their families, this city-owned project was built in 1946 to serve as temporary residence until the families were able to move into private housing. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

8

Activity in front of the Glendale Stables, located on Glendale Avenue, 1909. The stable was owned and operated by Thomas O. Pierce. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The San Fernando Power House in Sylmar, under construction in 1917. It was owned by the Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

4
1