It is estimated that over 30,000 people showed up at the opening of the Los Angeles Aqueduct on November 5, 1913. They came to watch the Owens Valley water cascade into the resevoir. The caption of this picture was that the automobile was "here to stay" in the San Fernando Valley. You can make out some horse and buggies to the rear of the image. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Ruins of the San Fernando Mission prior to restoration. The Mission was founded on September 8, 1797, by Father Fermin Lasuen, who followed in the footsteps of Father Junipero Serra. It was the seventeenth in a succession of twenty-one missions established in the state. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Activity in front of the Glendale Stables, located on Glendale Avenue, 1909. The stable was owned and operated by Thomas O. Pierce. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Program for Biennial General Federation of Women's Club Memorial Service, Hollywood Bowl, June 8, 1924. Event co-sponsored by the various women's clubs of Los Angeles including the women's clubs of the San Fernando Valley. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.