Promotional brochure for land in Girard (now Woodland Hills), with free tour by motorcar, and a free barbeque lunch, courtesy of Victor Girard himself. ifornia Tourism and Promotional Literature Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Brochure for W. P. Whitsett's free automobile tour to Van Nuys around 1912. Whitsett owned half interest in the town and was one of its greatest promoters. Los Angeles Valley College Historical Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Map from the San Fernando Land and Water Company, advertising 20,000 acres of land for sale in the San Fernando Valley, circa 1880s. The land was sold at $150 an acre. The former owner of the land was California State Senator Charles Maclay who donated $150,000 to endow the College of Theology of the University of Southern California. MultiCultural Music and Art Foundation of Northridge. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Title page of the Registro de Bautismos, the Baptism Registers, San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission. It was signed by Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen on September 8, 1797. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Tropico Post Office circa 1910. The building was owned by W. C. B. Richardson and was located at the corner of Central and San Fernando. Glendale Central Public Library. San fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.
The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The cover of a brochure for the Mulholland Hills development above Studio City by Merrick & Ruddick Realtors (ca. 1924). The subdivision’s frontage was on the Mulholland Highway between Franklin and Coldwater Canyons, facing the San Fernando Valley. Amusingly, the fanciful cover art depicts a view to the sea instead of the valley floor. One of its selling points was Coldwater Canyon, which offered the first direct road link from Ventura Boulevard in the valley to Beverly Hills.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.