A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

San Fernando Valley: The Hand that Feeds LA, circa 1920s :: San Fernando Valley History

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Historical Map of the San Fernando Valley (right side) :: San Fernando Valley History

Sheet music for the 1940's tune "San Fernando Valley: I'm Packing My Grip" sung by Bing Crosby. Words and music written by Gordon Jenkins. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The covers of two Pacific Electric Lines time tables, San Fernando Valley Service. The "Red Car" ran through the San Fernando Valley starting around 1911 and ended in the 1950s. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait of children and adults in front of the second Lankershim Elementary School, built in 1889. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Notice of Auction Sale of Horses, San Fernando Valley, 1910. :: San Fernando Valley History

Greeting from San Fernando Valley CA - view of the San Fernando Valley and Studio City circa 1950's

Native Americans posing at San Fernando Mission, circa 1880. Photo credit: Title Insurance and Trust Company. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

San Fernando Valley

Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Brand Boulevard at San Fernando Road, San Fernando, circa 1925. A street car from the Van Nuys line of the Pacific Electric Railway is prominent at center. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The waterfall at Balboa and the Old Road in the north end of the San Fernando Valley.

Page from a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features photograph of the entrance to Memory Garden, located on Brand Boulevard, an advertisement for Sizzler restaurant on Sepulveda Boulevard at Devonshire Street, and lists local sports facilities for Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

It is estimated that over 30,000 people showed up at the opening of the Los Angeles Aqueduct on November 5, 1913. They came to watch the Owens Valley water cascade into the resevoir. The caption of this picture was that the automobile was "here to stay" in the San Fernando Valley. You can make out some horse and buggies to the rear of the image. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Looking north towards what is now Chatsworth Street and Sepulveda Boulevard. In the distance, the San Fernando Mission is visible, surrounded by open land. circa 1920. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Program for the San Fernando Junior Cosmos Seventh Annual Fashion Show at Glen-Aire Country Club in Sherman Oaks, October 23, 1954. The event was a benefit to raise funds to redecorate the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) House in San Fernando. The show featured fashions from Lucille's 'Round the Clock shop in San Fernando and Judan Originals in Inglewood. San Fernando Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.