Billboard advertising housing and land availability located at the front entrance to the Hidden Hills development, April 1957. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The Polo Team in uniform on their horses at Hidden Hills, circa 1950's. The community of Hidden Hills was founded by developer A. E. Hanson in the late 1950s. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Sheet music for the 1940's tune "San Fernando Valley: I'm Packing My Grip" sung by Bing Crosby. Words and music written by Gordon Jenkins. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Anna Mary Forrester was the daughter of Peter Forrester, a native of Scotland. She arrived in California about 1852 and married Benigno Pico at Misión San Luís Obispoon January 6, 1864. Anna was 87-years-old when she died at her home at 451 Mission Street, San Fernando, California, where she had resided since 1877. San Fernando Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Looking north towards what is now Chatsworth Street and Sepulveda Boulevard. In the distance, the San Fernando Mission is visible, surrounded by open land. circa 1920. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Devonshire Downs flier, circa 1960-1965. Flier advertising the availability of Devonshire Downs for use as an exposition facility and fair grounds. It was owned and operated by the San Fernando Valley State College and located on what is now part of the California State University, Northridge campus. The Downs hosted concerts such as Jimi Hendrix in the late 1960's. Chatsworth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Old stage coach road in Chatsworth shows the rough terrain over which the stage lines traveled. The road dates from the 1860's and represents a period in the Valley when the trail linked Los Angeles, Encino, Simi Valley, and Ventura. It was declared an historic-cultural monument on January 5, 1972. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Topanga Canyon Road under construction, circa early 1900s. In the background is visible Pedro Orsua and a team of horses. This image was donated by Laura B. Gaye, from her book "Land of the West Valley." San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Group portrait outside Schlitz brewery, Van Nuys, late 1950s. Two men in the photo are identified: second from the left, C. Merle Duckett, and sixth from the left, Walter Burke. Valley Industry and Commerce Association. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Interior view of two workers on the assembly line at the General Motors plant in Van Nuys, circa 1960. The General Motors assembly plant opened in 1947 and was one of the San Fernando Valley's first attempts to progress from agriculture into large industry. When in full production, the plant employed 3,500 workers and helped to expand industrial, commercial, and residential development. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital library.
Front page of the Daily Sundial, campus newspaper of San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN), immediately following the Sylmar Earthquake in February 1971. The front page image is that of thousands of books littering the floor of the old Library. Designated South Library after the completion of the Delmar T. Oviatt Library in 1973, it was demolished following the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. CSUN University Digital Archives .
Installation of a gas line for Southern California Gas Company along San Fernando Road, 1910. The line was finished in 1912. By 1913, gas was being transported from the natural gas fields near Taft, California to the Burbank area. By 1924, services reached to Tujunga. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.