Cover of a Plan-It Insulated-Metal Framed Structures brochure, circa 1950s. Plan-It Homes, located in Sherman Oaks, designed pre-fabricated metal framed buildings. The brochure explains Plan-It structures are: "designed and engineered for the ultimate in fast, simple construction under all conditions, adaptability, and low maintenance . . ." Brochure also claims that unskilled workers could easily erect a Plan-It structure in a matter of hours. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Tropico Post Office circa 1910. The building was owned by W. C. B. Richardson and was located at the corner of Central and San Fernando. Glendale Central Public Library. San fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.
John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The cover of a brochure for the Mulholland Hills development above Studio City by Merrick & Ruddick Realtors (ca. 1924). The subdivision’s frontage was on the Mulholland Highway between Franklin and Coldwater Canyons, facing the San Fernando Valley. Amusingly, the fanciful cover art depicts a view to the sea instead of the valley floor. One of its selling points was Coldwater Canyon, which offered the first direct road link from Ventura Boulevard in the valley to Beverly Hills.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
https://flic.kr/p/9yCWPz | Block walls go up in Thousand Oaks | about 1966, block walls were installed on Moorpark Road, near Church of the Oaks, looking down at the intersection with Wilbur Road. Donated by photographer Herb Noseworthy. CTLnos065. There are no known U.S. copyright restrictions on this image. The Thousand Oaks Library requests that, when possible, the credit statement should read: "Image courtesy of Conejo Through the Lens, Thousand Oaks Library.".