Following the ribbon cutting ceremony, Mayor Tom Bradley visits Boys Market on a tour of Pacoima Plaza, 1985. Pictured (l-r): Sam Baca (store manager), Pete Sodini (President of Boys Market, Inc.), Mayor Tom Bradley, Herbert Piken (plaza developer). Robert and Betty Franklin Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Old stage coach road in Chatsworth shows the rough terrain over which the stage lines traveled. The road dates from the 1860's and represents a period in the Valley when the trail linked Los Angeles, Encino, Simi Valley, and Ventura. It was declared an historic-cultural monument on January 5, 1972. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Ivan and Elke Forbes with their wind turbine, 1984. The turbine was built by Solar World Energy Systems. More sturdy than a conventional windmill, the turbine generated electricity for the couple's Sylmar home on windy days through a standard power line. The turbine was only one of several measures the Forbes took to make their home more energy-efficient. Robert and Betty Franklin Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital library.
The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.