Record LP titled "Our World in Tune" featuring 3 elementary schools in the Valley East Elementary District: Erwin Street School (Valley Glen), Kester Avenue School (Van Nuys), and John B. Monlux School (North Hollywood), December, 1964. Songs included are world folk songs, with narration by Carrie Hoffman. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Thank-you card from Diana, a Santa Isabel Elementary School student, to the Mothers of East Los Angeles for a donation of books. Juana Beatriz Gutiérrez Mothers of East Los Angeles (MELA) Collection. Latino Archives.

Program for Biennial General Federation of Women's Club Memorial Service, Hollywood Bowl, June 8, 1924. Event co-sponsored by the various women's clubs of Los Angeles including the women's clubs of the San Fernando Valley. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Jess Willard or "The Great White Hope" was the one-time heavy weight boxing champion of the world, from 1915 to 1919, who beat Jack Johnson and Frank Morgan. He was born December 29, 1881 in St. Clere, Kansas. He retired from boxing in 1919 after losing in 3 rounds to Jack Dempsey. He owned several homes in the Los Angeles and Glendale areas before moving to the San Fernando Valley. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

North Africa Caribbean USO troupe departs after a Camp Show Christmas Special, 16 December, 1955. Pictured center is George Murphy, President of the Hollywood Coordinating Committee, which was originally formed in 1941 under the name the Hollywood Victory Committee, and was charged with arranging for screen stars to attend bond drives, entertain in USO shows, and perform other "morale-boosting" activities. Coralie Hewitt Tillack Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library

Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The Chosen Valley of the Little Landers, Los Angeles Evening Express, May 3, 1913. William E. Smythe started the movement known as "Little Lands." This advertisement beckons prospective colony members with inexpensive quarter-acre plots, soft water, "high social and intellectual life" and all the enticements of country living. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Flyer mailed to box holders in Malibu and Topanga by the Malibu Minute Men urging voters to reject the establishment of Los Angeles County Waterworks District no. 29 in the September 15, 1959 election. Topanga Historical Society, San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.

The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The cover of a brochure for the Mulholland Hills development above Studio City by Merrick & Ruddick Realtors (ca. 1924). The subdivision’s frontage was on the Mulholland Highway between Franklin and Coldwater Canyons, facing the San Fernando Valley. Amusingly, the fanciful cover art depicts a view to the sea instead of the valley floor. One of its selling points was Coldwater Canyon, which offered the first direct road link from Ventura Boulevard in the valley to Beverly Hills.