Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.

"Alert: A weekly confidential report on communism and how to combat it" produced by Jacoby & Gibbons and Associates, Anti-Subversive Public Relations Specialists in Los Angles, dated October 12, 1950. This issue specifically targets Assemblyman Julian Beck. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A thank you letter to Judge Julian Beck from the staff of Governor Edmund G. (Pat) Brown thanking him for his gift of turkeys, hams, and beverages on Thanksgiving, dated November 30, 1959. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Official program for the Fiesta de la Mission San Fernando featuring Charles E. Pressley's Pageant "Prayer of the Padre" in six episodes, June 5-7, 1931. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The San Fernando Power House in Sylmar, under construction in 1917. It was owned by the Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

San Fernando Blessed Fruits and Flowers Festival, June 8, 1986. This event was a local ceremony that combined indigenous spiritual beliefs with Catholic blessings to ensure a bountiful harvest. Robert and Betty Franklin Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Stamps from a World War II-era ration booklet issued to Vincent J. Graziano of North Hollywood, circa early 1940s. The stamps were traded for such scarce commodities as sugar, butter, coffee and beef steak. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Mayor Tom Bradley's campaign opens in Pacoima, circa 1972. Left to right: Edward Kussman, Tom Bradley, Ruby Madison, Nancy Avery. African American Historical Society and Cultural Center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Lark Day, Owensmouth Women's Club, April 1930. Women pictured in costume. "Owensmouth Women's Club gathered for the annual Lark Day celebration... Costumes from all lands and from all stations in life were the cause for much admiration and merriment." San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Letter from Cesar Chavez to Julian Nava, May 11, 1971. Nava and Chavez worked together throughout their careers. In 1967, Chavez, then president of the National Farm Workers Association (later the United Farm Workers), assisted Nava in his candidacy for the Los Angeles Board of Education. In this letter, Chavez thanks Nava for writing a letter to Congressman Barry Morris Goldwater, Jr., the son of Senator Barry Goldwater. Julian Nava Collection. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.

African American fire fighters stationed at Hose Company No. 4, Los Angeles, CA 1919

Brother’s Night Club: Brother's was an high profile after-hours nightspot and gathering place back in 1940s "black" Los Angeles when de facto Jim Crow/racial segregation was routine. It was also a meeting place for black gay subculture. Owned by the often Chinese silk robe wearing Henry "Brother" Williams (Afro-American) who was often accompanied by his communist leaning companion and lover Aristide Chapman (also Afro-American), the club was infamous for offering almost every kind of enterta...

Service with a Smile, Los Angeles, 1928