Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

Tilling the soil on the Halverson farm, 1925. The Halverson farm was located in Zelzah (now Northridge) near the present site of the California State University, Northridge campus. Homer Halverson Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Tropico Post Office circa 1910. The building was owned by W. C. B. Richardson and was located at the corner of Central and San Fernando. Glendale Central Public Library. San fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

California State University, Northridge NCAA Championship baseball, signed by the team, 1984. University Archives Memorabilia Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Throughout the early twentieth century, the San Fernando Valley was farmland; wheat, avocados, oranges, and squash grew in abundance. Founded in 1910 along the Southern Pacific Railroad in the northwest San Fernando Valley, it was among the early housing tracts carved from the former Mission Rancho San Fernando lands. The post office and train depot were renamed Northridge in 1938. Today, California State University, Northridge sits on a portion of that land. CSUN University Archives.

These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Chatsworth Street in Granada Hills, California, circa 1940s. This photograph depicts the the curved corner of Zelzah Avenue and Chatsworth Street. San Fernando Valley Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Native Americans posing at San Fernando Mission, circa 1880. Photo credit: Title Insurance and Trust Company. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Title page of the Registro de Bautismos, the Baptism Registers, San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission. It was signed by Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen on September 8, 1797. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Anna Mary Forrester was the daughter of Peter Forrester, a native of Scotland. She arrived in California about 1852 and married Benigno Pico at Misión San Luís Obispoon January 6, 1864. Anna was 87-years-old when she died at her home at 451 Mission Street, San Fernando, California, where she had resided since 1877. San Fernando Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait of a class at the Lopez Station School in Granada Hills, circa 1883. The school was run by Geronimo and Catalina Lopez and was the first English speaking school in the Valley. The school closed in 1884. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.

Lankershim Bakery and T. W. Herron's Store located at Magnolia Boulevard and Lankershim Boulevard, circa 1915. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The San Fernando Power House in Sylmar, under construction in 1917. It was owned by the Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Los Angeles River, January 23, 1956. This photo was taken by Homer Halverson and is marked regarding the "Top of existing Left Bank", "Road Bar", "P.E.", "Existing Road", "Existing Dike & U.S. Prot. for Pt. 6", "Flow" and "U.S. End Part 6". The photo is also captioned by Halverson as "L.A. River #4". The photo was taken as part of his work with the United States Army Corps of Engineers. Water Works - Documenting Water History in Los Angeles.