Group portrait outside Schlitz brewery, Van Nuys, California, circa 1950s. In 1982, the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Company was acquired by Stroh Brewing Company of Detroit. Valley Industry and Commerce Association. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Native Americans posing at San Fernando Mission, circa 1880. Photo credit: Title Insurance and Trust Company. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Sheet music for the 1940's tune "San Fernando Valley: I'm Packing My Grip" sung by Bing Crosby, circa 1940s. Words and music written by Gordon Jenkins. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Cartoon illustrating the closure of Lockheed's Van Nuys plant by the US Government. Original art appeared in The American Aeronaut, March 4, 1964. International Association of Machinists Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The San Fernando Power House in Sylmar, under construction in 1917. It was owned by the Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Looking north towards what is now Chatsworth Street and Sepulveda Boulevard. In the distance, the San Fernando Mission is visible, surrounded by open land. circa 1920. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Old stage coach road in Chatsworth shows the rough terrain over which the stage lines traveled. The road dates from the 1860's and represents a period in the Valley when the trail linked Los Angeles, Encino, Simi Valley, and Ventura. It was declared an historic-cultural monument on January 5, 1972. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A "Barry Goldwater for President" campaign volunteer posing for a portrait while decorating the campaign car in Van Nuys, September 23, 1964. Goldwater was an unsuccessful Republican nominee for President in 1964. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of L. C. Brand, circa 1910. Brand came to California in 1886 and started the Los Angeles Abstract Company with Edwin Sargent. He and Henry E. Huntington formed the San Fernando Valley Land and Development Company. Brand was president of the Los Angeles and Glendale Railroad Company which provided connections from Los Angeles to Glendale with extensions to Burbank, Pasadena, and Griffith Park. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Installation of a gas line for Southern California Gas Company along San Fernando Road, 1910. The line was finished in 1912. By 1913, gas was being transported from the natural gas fields near Taft, California to the Burbank area. By 1924, services reached to Tujunga. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Program for Biennial General Federation of Women's Club Memorial Service, Hollywood Bowl, June 8, 1924. Event co-sponsored by the various women's clubs of Los Angeles including the women's clubs of the San Fernando Valley. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.

An article on Martin Luther King Jr's visit to the San Fernando Valley in the old Valley Times newspaper.

Greetings From San Fernando Valley California 1950s #backintheday