Section 8 housing in Sylmar, California, February 3, 1984. Sylmar residents initially resisted the construction of large apartment and condominium complexes during the 1980s because they worried that schools, emergency services, and area resources would not keep pace with a rapid population increase, and that the community's suburban atmosphere might be endangered. Robert and Betty Franklin Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Ivan and Elke Forbes with their wind turbine, 1984. The turbine was built by Solar World Energy Systems. More sturdy than a conventional windmill, the turbine generated electricity for the couple's Sylmar home on windy days through a standard power line. The turbine was only one of several measures the Forbes took to make their home more energy-efficient. Robert and Betty Franklin Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital library.
Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.