Discover and save creative ideas

    Reverend Hillery T. Broadous and wife Rosa L. Broadous at the mortgage burning banquet for Calvary Baptist Church of Pacoima, January 1963. The Broadous' were married in 1937. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    1y

    1 comment

    • Oviatt Library

      Reverend Hillery T. Broadous and wife Rosa L. Broadous at the mortgage burning banquet for Calvary Baptist Church of Pacoima, January 1963. The Broadous' were married in 1937. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    People also love

    Thirteen-year-old Richard Petri, a Burbank newspaper delivery boy, picks up the Valley Times for his morning route, 1949. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Title page of the Registro de Bautismos, the Baptism Registers, San Fernando Rey de Espana Mission. It was signed by Fray Fermin Francisco de Lasuen on September 8, 1797. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    The Millionaires Club of Happiness and Contentment's philosophy, signed by Mildred W. Brigham, circa 1915-1921.The club consisted of a local group of men who met in front of the Tujunga Post Office to visit and discuss local issues. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Flyer mailed to box holders in Malibu and Topanga by the Malibu Minute Men urging voters to reject the establishment of Los Angeles County Waterworks District no. 29 in the September 15, 1959 election. Topanga Historical Society, San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    This letter from John Steven McGroarty to Mrs. Louise Watkins, a member of the Drama Section Committee of the Friday Morning Club, conveys his intention to attend a club meeting of the Drama Section on April 15, 1930. The letter was written on Mission Playhouse letterhead celebrating the 3000th performance of the Mission Play, and bears McGroarty's signature. John Steven McGroarty Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

    Good old vintage school photos.