Encino Post Office dedication day, circa 1935-1942. Some of Encino's celebrities are visible in the picture. At center holding a white hat is Al Jolson. The man to his left, next to the flag is the actor Edward Evertt Horton. To the right of the flag is Peter Amestoy. The second person to the right of the flag is the actor Phil Harris and two over from him on the right, smiling with an open collared shirt is the actor Don Ameche. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Librar...

These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Dove hunting party at Rancho Los Encinos, circa 1905-1910. At the time of this picture the ranch was owned by the Amestoy family. The image was taken next to the de la Osa adobe now located in the Los Encinos State Historic Park in Encino, California. Rancho Los Encinos. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Old stage coach road in Chatsworth shows the rough terrain over which the stage lines traveled. The road dates from the 1860's and represents a period in the Valley when the trail linked Los Angeles, Encino, Simi Valley, and Ventura. It was declared an historic-cultural monument on January 5, 1972. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Van Nuys Rotary-Gram newsletter, May 19, 1954. The Van Nuys Rotary Club was organized and chartered in 1925 to promote commerce and community service. This page of the weekly four-page newsletter, edited by Bruce Jones, features the Valley Municipal Building, the administrative center of the San Fernando Valley. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Margarite Larre Amestoy (Mrs. Peter) on Rancho Los Encinos around 1906. In 1889, Domingo Amestoy bought the Rancho. This was the last time the 4,460 acre ranch was sold as a whole. In 1916, the Amestoy family sold 1,170 acres which would eventually become the community of Encino. Rancho Los Encinos. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Group portrait outside Schlitz brewery, Van Nuys, late 1950s. Two men in the photo are identified: second from the left, C. Merle Duckett, and sixth from the left, Walter Burke. Valley Industry and Commerce Association. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Peter Amestoy with Rancho Los Encinos work mule around 1908. Peter Amestoy with Rancho Los Encinos work mule around 1908. In 1889, Domingo Amestoy bought the Rancho. This was the last time the 4,460 acre ranch was sold as a whole. In the coming years, it would slowly be sold, a piece at a time. Rancho Los Encinos. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The Chosen Valley of the Little Landers, Los Angeles Evening Express, May 3, 1913. William E. Smythe started the movement known as "Little Lands." This advertisement beckons prospective colony members with inexpensive quarter-acre plots, soft water, "high social and intellectual life" and all the enticements of country living. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Fruit trees planted by Ruben Ahlstrom on ranch north of Devonshire at the end of Canoga Avenue, Chatsworth, circa 1890s. Los Angeles Valley College Historical Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Exterior view of men standing in front of the Bargain Store in San Fernando, circa 1900-1920. The store was owned by Joe Iverson (second from left). Chatsworth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Rocket test stand at Rocketdyne, circa 1960 :: San Fernando Valley History

Chatsworth Street in Granada Hills, California, circa 1940s. This photograph depicts the the curved corner of Zelzah Avenue and Chatsworth Street. San Fernando Valley Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.