Dr. Steven Oppenheimer, pictured in his laboratory looking through a microscope, began his career at San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN) in 1971. Continuing his post-graduate work, Dr. Oppenheimer's research focused on cell adhesion. He has been recognized as a CSU System Trustees Outstanding Professor and as a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. University Archives.
The campus newspaper at San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN), the Daily Sundial, ran this front-page illustration in the shape of a helmeted soldier in October 1969. Within the silhouette of the soldier's head is newsprint; the articles chosen represent those concerning Vietnam War dead from Southern California. CSUN University Digital Archives.
Students at San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN) demand information after a section of the Administration Building (now known as Bayramian Hall) is burned. Their demands are simple -- convene a committee to receive evidence and hear testimony in order to uncover as much of the truth as is possible. Students were asked to put their contact information at the bottom of the flier to be part of the committee, called the Students Committee on Conflict. CSUN University Digital Archives.
"El Popo" is the student newspaper produced by M.E.Ch.A. (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán) of San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN). The paper was launched by then-student Frank del Olmo, later a well-known Los Angeles journalist and voice for the Latino community. This is the front page of the first issue. CSUN University Archives.
Front page of the Daily Sundial, campus newspaper of San Fernando Valley State College (now CSUN), immediately following the Sylmar Earthquake in February 1971. The front page image is that of thousands of books littering the floor of the old Library. Designated South Library after the completion of the Delmar T. Oviatt Library in 1973, it was demolished following the 1994 Northridge Earthquake. CSUN University Digital Archives .
John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Devonshire Downs flier, circa 1960-1965. Flier advertising the availability of Devonshire Downs for use as an exposition facility and fair grounds. It was owned and operated by the San Fernando Valley State College and located on what is now part of the California State University, Northridge campus. The Downs hosted concerts such as Jimi Hendrix in the late 1960's. Chatsworth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
In this letter, Cesar Chavez thanks Julian Nava for writing a letter to Congressman Barry Morris Goldwater, Jr. during his campaign for the Los Angeles Board of Education. Julian Nava, a graduate of Pomona College, was one of the first Mexican-American doctoral students at Harvard University. He went on to have a distinguished career as professor of history at California State University, Northridge, and served as United States Ambassador to Mexico from 1980 to 1981. Julian Nava Collection.
Brochure for W. P. Whitsett's free automobile tour to Van Nuys around 1912. Whitsett owned half interest in the town and was one of its greatest promoters. Los Angeles Valley College Historical Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
In 1973 OAPEC nations imposed a oil embargo in response to the United States decision to assist the Israeli military. The resulting embargo left the states starved for fuel. Not only did snaking lines form for blocks to get to gas stations, but the fuel was rationed to only a certain amount per car. By February of 1974 20% of gas stations were dry
Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.