William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Flyer mailed to box holders in Malibu and Topanga by the Malibu Minute Men urging voters to reject the establishment of Los Angeles County Waterworks District no. 29 in the September 15, 1959 election. Topanga Historical Society, San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
This water tank built by T. W. (Bill) Kneen in the shape of a milk bottle was built in the 1930's out of masonry. Located at Red Rock Road, Old Topanga Canyon. Photographer: A. Les Haines. Topanga Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Anna Mary Forrester was the daughter of Peter Forrester, a native of Scotland. She arrived in California about 1852 and married Benigno Pico at Misión San Luís Obispoon January 6, 1864. Anna was 87-years-old when she died at her home at 451 Mission Street, San Fernando, California, where she had resided since 1877. San Fernando Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.
Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.