Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

3
1

The Chosen Valley of the Little Landers, Los Angeles Evening Express, May 3, 1913. William E. Smythe started the movement known as "Little Lands." This advertisement beckons prospective colony members with inexpensive quarter-acre plots, soft water, "high social and intellectual life" and all the enticements of country living. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

7
2

Flyer mailed to box holders in Malibu and Topanga by the Malibu Minute Men urging voters to reject the establishment of Los Angeles County Waterworks District no. 29 in the September 15, 1959 election. Topanga Historical Society, San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

1

Samuel Marx Cooper, on left with Stan or Percy Masson in Calabasas on their motorcycles, circa 1918. Calabasas Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

5

Sheet music for the 1940's tune "San Fernando Valley: I'm Packing My Grip" sung by Bing Crosby. Words and music written by Gordon Jenkins. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

5
1

Lark Day, Owensmouth Women's Club, April 1930. Women pictured in costume. "Owensmouth Women's Club gathered for the annual Lark Day celebration... Costumes from all lands and from all stations in life were the cause for much admiration and merriment." San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2
1

Pioneer Women's Club members, Edna Leetham in Mrs. McGroarty's Italian embroidered dress and Ethel Kramer in Grandma McReynolds white linen dress, circa 1930s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

3
2

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

4
1

The Millionaires Club of Happiness and Contentment's philosophy, signed by Mildred W. Brigham, circa 1915-1921.The club consisted of a local group of men who met in front of the Tujunga Post Office to visit and discuss local issues. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Worker loading oranges into crates to be brought to the Canoga Citrus Association packing house for processing, circa 1935-1945. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

1

Lark Day, Owensmouth Women's Club, April 1930. "The Owensmouth Women's Club gathered for the annual Lark Day celebration... Costumes from all lands and from all stations in life were the cause for much admiration and merriment." Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.--

Los Angeles County Deed of Title for Lot 5 in Block 81 of the Rancho Providencia and Scott Tract, once owned by Dr. David Burbank, to John D. Radcliff. The certificate was issued by the Title Insurace and Trust Co. of Los Angeles on October 12, 1899. Burbank Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2

Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

1

John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2

Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2

Glendale police officer Byron Green and his 2-1/2 year old daughter Vicki Ann hanging wash at the Glen Vet Court housing project on Colorado Street west of San Fernando Road in Glendale, August 1953. Housing up to ninety-nine veterans and their families, this city-owned project was built in 1946 to serve as temporary residence until the families were able to move into private housing. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

1

Lucy Lee Trotter and notes from the first meeting of the Owensmouth Women's Club. Trotter of Van Nuys presided over the first meeting, 1914. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

2

Activity in front of the Glendale Stables, located on Glendale Avenue, 1909. The stable was owned and operated by Thomas O. Pierce. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Catarina Pico dressed in a period costume. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

3
1