Throughout the early twentieth century, the San Fernando Valley was farmland; wheat, avocados, oranges, and squash grew in abundance. Founded in 1910 along the Southern Pacific Railroad in the northwest San Fernando Valley, it was among the early housing tracts carved from the former Mission Rancho San Fernando lands. The post office and train depot were renamed Northridge in 1938. Today, California State University, Northridge sits on a portion of that land. CSUN University Archives.
Squash field at site of future CSUN campus, with "State Property" sign visible. This is the campus site just after it was purchased by the state but before construction began on the San Fernando Valley campus of Los Angeles State College, circa 1955-1956. CSUN University Digital Archives.
California State University, Northridge (CSUN) art student John Banks was the winner of a contest to design the new university sign, located on the corner of Nordhoff Street and Zelzah Avenue. In this image, Banks hangs from the metal support for the "C" in his "CSUN" spaghetti-letters sculpture. Alumni Collections.
Exterior view of the Cody Theater, located at 303 S. Brand Boulevard, San Fernando, 1923. The movie advertised on the theater's marquee is Grumpy (1923) starring prolific silent film star of the 1910s and 1920s, Theodore Roberts. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.