Program for Biennial General Federation of Women's Club Memorial Service, Hollywood Bowl, June 8, 1924. Event co-sponsored by the various women's clubs of Los Angeles including the women's clubs of the San Fernando Valley. Canoga Park Women's Club Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
William Ellsworth Smythe, founder of a social movement known as "Little Landers" worked with George W. Harris and Marshall Valentine Hartranft to build the "Los Terrenitos" or the "Little Lands" Colony in 1913. Smythe and his disciples believed that any man could support himself and his family on a single acre of irrigated land.The Colony struggled through economic recession and by 1920 had ceased to exist. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a program from the Chatsworth Methodist Church's "Pioneer Jubilee" March 9, 1958 celebrations. The church's appointment of the first pastor was 1888. The Jubilee celebration marked the church's 70th year in existence. The church building that held the celebration was built in 1903 and was located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Chatsworth United Methodist Church. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
This water tank built by T. W. (Bill) Kneen in the shape of a milk bottle was built in the 1930's out of masonry. Located at Red Rock Road, Old Topanga Canyon. Photographer: A. Les Haines. Topanga Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.