Milkman with delivery truck for Adohr Farms in Reseda, circa 1935-1937. The Adohr Farms milk dairy was located in Tarzana, California at Ventura Boulevard and Lindley Avenue. The dairy was established by Merritt Adamson 1916, and named for his wife, Rhoda (spelled backwards). Adohr Farms Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Steele's Valley Motor Lodge, located at 13949 Ventura Boulevard (at the northwest corner of the intersection with Colbath Avenue) in Sherman Oaks, California (ca. 1950). A Chase Bank and office building occupies that location today.
Portrait of Linetta, a champion Guernsey dairy cow from Adohr Farms in Reseda, circa 1937. The accompanying caption reads: "Few dairy cows attain such fame as Linetta of Adohr. For three years she has been judged the Grand Champion Guernsey of California. She was Reserve Grand Champion at the National Dairy Show in Dallas, 1936. She is the heroine of Adohr's feature length movie in color, 'The Story of Linetta.'" Adohr Farms Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
A promotional photograph for Adohr Farms, Guernsey, c. 1935. Accompanying caption reads: "The Guernsey Breed of cattle was developed on the Isle of Guernsey, one of the small Channel Islands off the coast of France. For many generations, no other breed has been allowed on the Island. Guernseys give milk of rich golden color, fine flavor and high butterfat content." Adohr Farms Collection.
Tropico Post Office circa 1910. The building was owned by W. C. B. Richardson and was located at the corner of Central and San Fernando. Glendale Central Public Library. San fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
The Brand family butler serving beverages on the tennis courts at El Miradero, circa 1910. The estate was bequeathed to the City of Glendale, and by 1956 the mansion had been converted into the Brand Library. In the 1960s, the City funded an addition to the library which created space for an art center. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Looking north towards what is now Chatsworth Street and Sepulveda Boulevard. In the distance, the San Fernando Mission is visible, surrounded by open land. circa 1920. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Stork and baby promotional plaque representing Owensmouth, the newest town in the San Fernando Valley, March 30, 1912. This plaque was given to prospective buyers by land developers on the opening day of land sales in Owensmouth. The new town was named Owensmouth in anticipation of the water being brought from the Owens Valley via the Los Angeles Aqueduct. In 1931, the town was renamed Canoga Park. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Old stage coach road in Chatsworth shows the rough terrain over which the stage lines traveled. The road dates from the 1860's and represents a period in the Valley when the trail linked Los Angeles, Encino, Simi Valley, and Ventura. It was declared an historic-cultural monument on January 5, 1972. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Adohr Farms milk bottling facility, circa 1935-1937 :: San Fernando Valley History. Caption: "The milk is bottled a few minutes after it is milked and cooled. Even the air in the bottling room is washed - which is just one example of the extreme care that is taken in the production of Certified Milk." The girl in the foreground may be Shirley Temple, who did a series of promotional photographs for the farm. [Her Guernsey calf, Tillie, from the children of Tillamook, Oregon was at the farm…
Brochure for W. P. Whitsett's free automobile tour to Van Nuys around 1912. Whitsett owned half interest in the town and was one of its greatest promoters. Los Angeles Valley College Historical Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.