Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideas

Explore California Poet, California Home Sweet, and more!

John Steven McGroarty and Marie Walsh at the San Fernando Mission Sept. 8, 1931. McGroarty had a distinguished career as the first mayor of Tujunga, a California State Senator, California Poet Laureate and a playwright, journalist and author. Marie Walsh Harrington was the wife of Dr. Mark Harrington. Harrington was the director of the Southwest Museum and restored the Andres Pico Adobe. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library

Historical Map of the San Fernando Valley (left side) :: San Fernando Valley History

John Steven and Ida Lubrecht McGroarty, circa 1915. John Steven McGroarty was Poet Laureate of the State of California 1933-1934, and represented Los Angeles in the US House of Representatives from 1935 to 1939. He authored the Mission Play, which romanticized McGroarty's former home in the Verdugo Hills. The McGroarty's Tujunga home now houses the McGroarty Arts Center, part of the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Anna Mary Forrester was the daughter of Peter Forrester, a native of Scotland. She arrived in California about 1852 and married Benigno Pico at Misión San Luís Obispoon January 6, 1864. Anna was 87-years-old when she died at her home at 451 Mission Street, San Fernando, California, where she had resided since 1877. San Fernando Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Portrait of Catarina and Caroline Pico, circa 1855. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Native Americans posing at San Fernando Mission, circa 1880. Photo credit: Title Insurance and Trust Company. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Official program for the Fiesta de la Mission San Fernando featuring Charles E. Pressley's Pageant "Prayer of the Padre" in six episodes, June 5-7, 1931. San Fernando, Rey de España. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Looking north towards what is now Chatsworth Street and Sepulveda Boulevard. In the distance, the San Fernando Mission is visible, surrounded by open land. circa 1920. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

These fans, which bear the message, "I'M A FAN OF VALLEY CITYHOOD," were distributed by Valley VOTE during the 2002 campaign to create a new city out of the Los Angeles communities of the San Fernando Valley. Valley Voters Organized Toward Empowerment Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

The San Fernando Power House in Sylmar, under construction in 1917. It was owned by the Los Angeles Bureau of Power and Light. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

A Daughter of the Snows: The Story of the Great San Fernando Valley written by the Publicity Department, Lankershim Branch, Security Trust & Savings Bank, 1923. Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Catarina Pico dressed in a period costume. Catarina was a ward of General Andres Pico. In 1874 she married Romulo Pico, the son of General Andres Pico. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

View of Commerce Street in Tujunga, circa 1950. Commerce Street is located at the foothills of the northern rim of the San Fernando Valley. Caption on the verso reads, "It is considered one of the most healthful spots in the country." San Fernando Valley Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Installation of a gas line for Southern California Gas Company along San Fernando Road, 1910. The line was finished in 1912. By 1913, gas was being transported from the natural gas fields near Taft, California to the Burbank area. By 1924, services reached to Tujunga. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Esquire Cleaners at 7125 Foothill Blvd. in Tujunga, California, circa 1960s. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Flyer announcing the play "Who Killed Earl Wright?" Sunday evening, January 29, 1939. Performance was held at the First Baptist church in San Fernando. The cast included Julian Beck, who, according to the penned correction, replaced Fuller as the Judge in the play. Beck was an attorney in 1939, and would later become Superior Court Judge of Los Angeles County. Judge Julian Beck Collection. San Fernando Valley History.Digital Library.

O. F. Heer opened his blacksmithing business in in Tujunga in1911, which included horseshoeing, wagon work, and automotive repair. Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Men lined-up in front of See's Barber Shop in Tujunga, California, for a haircut, 1930. Overhead sign reads, "SEE moves to Lower Skid Row." Little Landers Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Photograph of a view of the residential area of Tujunga, looking west toward the San Fernando Valley, ca.1928.