April 20, 1909: The World’s First Mile of Concrete Highway
THE WORLD'S FIRST MILE OF CONCRETE ROAD - Paving Woodward Ave. in Detroit - The Wayne County Rd Com. introduced the world to a new kind of road: Concrete. The only place it could be found that year was Woodward between Six and Seven Mile Roads in Greenfield Twp., which is now northwest Detroit. Construction started April 20, 1909.
Did you know the founder of the Boeing Co, one of America's most successful aerospace companies, was born in Detroit? This mansion on Woodward Ave. and Ferry Street, was built by his father, Wilhelm, a self-made millionaire. Boeing House - Old photos — Historic Detroit
Woodward/Merchants Row: Named for Augustus B. Woodward, the man responsible for planning Detroit's layout after the fire of 1805, Woodward Ave. is Detroit's most famous street. Leading directly into the heart of downtown Detroit, several retailers, including Vernors, Sanders, Winkleman's, S.S. Kresge Co., F.W. Woolworth Company and Hudson's had locations on Woodward in an area that became known as Merchants Row.
This giant stove used to be at the foot of E Grand Blvd & Jefferson across from Belle Isle in Detroit, MI. It was later relocated on the Michigan State Fairgrounds facing Woodward Ave near State Fair St, between 7 and 8 Mile road, in Detroit.