Christ Church Frederica, on St. Simons Island was built in 1820. The first services on the island date back to 1736, when Episcopalian Charles Wesley held services for St. Simons' early settlers at nearby Fort Frederica. Much of the church was destroyed during the Civil War. In 1884, wealthy mill-owner, Anson G. P. Dodge, rebuilt the church and became involved with its day-to-day operation. On the grounds of Christ Church is Christ Church Cemetery where several notables are buried.